Papa Fred

Papa Fred passed away to be with the Lord this morning. He was a great man whom I had the blessing of knowing 10 years. Here is a letter I wrote to him and want to share with others explaining what a wonderful and special person he was to me.


Papa Fred,
I want to tell you how special you are to me and how I treasure all the time God has allowed for you to be in my life. Even though I’m not your natural daughter I’ve always felt loved by Marie and you. I will always cherish the memories that I’ve made these past 11 years since first meeting your loving family in Hawaii.
You will be remembered by me for your love of flowers and how in our first meeting you bought Marie & I lei’s in the Hawaiian Airport. I felt relaxed around you and very welcomed, loved the fact that we both loved John Wayne movies and shrimp. I also became an expert at skillfully dodging your video camera 
I will always chuckle when remembering Shane telling me I had to call you and Marie to ask permission to marry him. Your “yes, Please!” was exactly the answer I was hoping for. I was glad that the beans burned so you & Marie could visit with my parents and develop a friendship that you felt comfortable spending time with them without your kids.
I loved when you guys helped us move into the house in Lake Stevens. It was fun to hear you and Marie chuckle in the second bedroom while Shane & I were laughing at your chuckling. I’m so thankful to you and Marie in showing me your openness with your love for each other even if your kids would get embarrassed.
The pictures I have of you both enjoying the grandkids will hold a special place in our lives and stories to share. I’m glad we could always provide an excuse to spend money for you, helping out with house projects or even buying a cherry picker to paint the upper part of your house in Alaska. Giving you an excuse to make popcorn buy a iced mocha, and reading your book while grandkids napped. Your willingness to watch Kelli so I could go fishing with Marie, and trying to spoil her with popcorn are among a fourth of the memories I have, and getting to get Shane in trouble on something you jointly did …
I want to thank you for raising your son into a loving, generous, dedicated, stubborn Christian and Man. Thank you for not giving up on him when he was rebellious and taking him home when he needed you the most. Without that time to heal his body and soul his path might not have led back to Seattle and to eventually marrying me.
I know that our lives are coursed before we are born, yet it seems unfair that we only get you for a short time. I have truly cherished getting to know you and spending time with you. Thank you for sharing your love of movies, books, popcorn, grilling steaks, fish, snicker doodles, drive thru ice cream, & woodworking with me. It was always nice to sit by you and have quiet time while our spouses were off plotting something or you & Shane were off plotting. 
I love you very much Papa Fred, thank you for your planning and plotting, hugs and love, and opening your life for your children’s spouses.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I'm deeply sorry for your loss.

Fred was a genuinely good person and whenever Shane would share stories of his father with me, they always brought a smile to his face.

May he rest in peace.

-Cousin Steve
Anonymous said…
My thoughts and prayers are with you and Shane at this time. Remember the good times and the lessons taught during the bad. Love ya NJP
Anonymous said…
Hello Shane,
It's been a long time since we've chatted on the N bound Sounder. (You moved after I was laid off.)
Thank you for sharing stories of your life and family with me. I think of you often and periodically look at this site to see how you are doing. All seems to be going according to plan for you.
I am sorry to hear that your father has passed. I know how proud you are of him and your mother as they persevered through the long arduous cancer treatment process. I’m sure their experience was helpful to the medical team treating your dad.
My prayers are with you during this difficult time for your family.
Blessings,
Nell :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Whew! Break for update

West bound....

Month in review